HAWTHORNE MUNICIPAL CODE SECTION 9.43
Enacted May 24, 2016
Section 9.43 regulates the manner and location(s) in which skateboards, bicycles, roller skates, scooters and hover boards are operated within the City of Hawthorne. The public is encouraged to read the entire ordinance for details as to the scope of the ordinance, including what conduct is allowed and what is prohibited, as well as the penalties for violation of the ordinance.
- “No skateboarding “or other restrictive signs must be obeyed.
- Skateboards, roller skates, bicycles, scooters and hover boards may be used to travel from one location to another.
- Public parks and public property may not be used for riding or performing tricks.
- A skateboard park has been established, and is the only location in the City of Hawthorne in which tricks, stunts or other entertainment maneuvers may be performed.
- Skateboarders, bicyclists, scooter riders and hover board riders must obey all traffic laws, and must exercise due care for their own safety and the safety of others.
- Operate the vehicle in a standing, upright position (with the exception of bicycles)
- Obey traffic signals and stop signs
- Ride on the far right side of the road, and yield to approaching vehicles
- Travel no more than 10 miles per hour
- Towing by a motor vehicle is prohibited
- Violators will be:
- - Guilty of an infraction
- - Subject to fines
- - Impounding of the vehicle at a fee of $40.00 per day